Gunmen abduct 23 Pupils in northern central Nigeria orphanage

By Demola Adenipekun
LOKOJA, Nigeria — Gunmen stormed an unregistered orphanage and school facility in Zariagi, near Lokoja north-central Nigeria abducting 23 pupils and the wife of the school proprietor, authorities said Monday.
The attack occurred late Sunday at the Dahallukitab Group of Schools in a remote area along the Kabba Junction axis few Kilometers from the state capital. The remaining eight victims are still being searched for as operations continue.
The State Commissioner for Information, Kingsley Femi Fanwo, said the facility was operating without official registration or regulatory oversight.
He described the incident as avoidable given its location and lack of compliance with state education and safety standards.Security agencies, including the Nigeria Police Force, were deployed immediately after the attack was reported. Officials said their rapid response enabled the rescue of 15 pupils from captivity.
The abducted group includes young schoolchildren and the wife of the school’s proprietor, according to government statements confirmed by security sources. Authorities did not immediately release ages or identities of the victims.
Fanwo said coordinated security operations remain active across surrounding forests and routes believed to be used by the attackers. He said efforts are focused on securing the release of the remaining captives.
The government also linked the incident to broader regulatory gaps, saying the school’s unregistered status contributed to its vulnerability. Officials warned that unauthorized facilities in isolated areas pose heightened security risks.
The attack adds to a pattern of mass kidnappings targeting schools and educational institutions across Nigeria’s north-central and northwestern regions in recent years.
These incidents have frequently involved armed groups seeking ransom payments.Similar mass abductions have previously occurred in states such as Niger, Kaduna and Zamfara, where armed gangs have exploited remote school locations.
The trend has strained public confidence in school safety systems.Nigeria has faced persistent insecurity driven by armed criminal groups and insurgent factions, including Boko Haram and Islamic State West Africa Province, particularly in the northeast.
However, kidnapping-for-ransom operations have expanded beyond conflict zones.In 2021, more than 100 students were abducted from schools in Niger State in separate incidents, drawing national attention to gaps in school protection frameworks.
Some victims were later released after negotiations.Analysts have consistently linked school kidnappings to weak rural surveillance, poor infrastructure and limited rapid-response capacity in remote communities.
These conditions continue to create operational advantages for armed groups.Kogi State has experienced sporadic violent incidents linked to criminal networks operating across forest corridors connecting central and northwestern Nigeria. Authorities have increased joint patrols in response to rising incidents.
The Federal Government has previously urged states to enforce stricter registration and safety standards for schools and orphanages, particularly those operating outside urban centers. Compliance enforcement remains uneven across regions.Community members in Zariagi expressed concern over the safety of children in isolated learning environments.
Residents said the attack has intensified fear among families with children in boarding and informal educational setups.
Security agencies said search-and-rescue operations will continue until all abducted individuals are accounted for. Officials have not confirmed whether negotiations or contact with the attackers have been established.




