
By Deborah Onaolapo
The death toll in Gaza has risen to 72,608 since October 2023, according to the territory’s Health Ministry. The ministry said Saturday that 172,445 people have also been wounded during the conflict.
Hospitals recorded seven bodies and eight injured people over the previous 48 hours, the ministry said. The figures reflect continued fatalities despite a ceasefire agreement that took effect in October 2025.
At least 828 Palestinians have been killed since the ceasefire began, according to ministry data. Another 2,342 people have been injured in incidents linked to Israeli military activity during that period.
The war began after the Oct. 7, 2023, Hamas-led attack on Israel triggered a large-scale Israeli military response. That escalation transformed Gaza into one of the most heavily devastated conflict zones globally.
The Health Ministry’s figures are widely cited by international organizations, including the United Nations, which considers the data broadly credible. Israeli authorities previously disputed the numbers but have more recently acknowledged their general accuracy.
Independent research has suggested the toll may be higher than reported by local authorities. A study published in February estimated more than 75,000 deaths in the war’s first 16 months.
The ministry’s cumulative totals have steadily increased as bodies are recovered from rubble and previously unrecorded deaths are verified. Officials say rescue teams continue to face access constraints across heavily damaged areas.
Large portions of Gaza’s civilian infrastructure have been destroyed during the conflict, according to United Nations estimates. Reconstruction costs are projected to reach about $70 billion, reflecting widespread urban devastation.
Nearly the entire population of Gaza has been displaced at various stages of the war.
Families have repeatedly relocated amid shifting front lines and ongoing airstrikes, often with limited access to shelter or basic services.
Medical facilities have been severely strained, with hospitals reporting shortages of supplies, staff and operational capacity. The high number of wounded has compounded pressure on an already weakened healthcare system.
Health officials say many victims remain trapped under collapsed buildings or in inaccessible areas. Civil defense crews have reported difficulties reaching those locations due to ongoing security risks and infrastructure damage.
The death toll includes both recently killed individuals and bodies recovered long after initial attacks. Authorities have emphasized that identification and verification processes can delay inclusion in official statistics.
Casualty figures have continued to rise even during periods described as ceasefires, highlighting the fragility of such agreements. Reports of sporadic violence and shelling have persisted since late 2025.
The scale of casualties has intensified scrutiny of the conflict’s humanitarian impact. International organizations have raised concerns about civilian protection and access to aid within the enclave.
Conflicts analysts have also documented indirect deaths linked to the war, including those caused by malnutrition, disease and lack of medical treatment. These fatalities are often harder to quantify but contribute significantly to overall mortality.
Demographic analyses indicate that women, children and elderly people account for a substantial share of those killed. Studies have estimated that these groups make up more than half of recorded fatalities.
The ongoing recovery of bodies continues to push totals upward months after major fighting phases. Officials say hundreds of remains have been retrieved since the ceasefire, underscoring the conflict’s lingering toll.
For residents, the figures translate into widespread personal loss and long-term displacement. Families continue to search for missing relatives while coping with damaged homes, limited services and uncertain prospects for recovery.
